I mean, even allowing for bots and PR people, that's still, like, a couple dozen actual followers.
Of course, I reckon the fact that I had funky49 unwittingly campaigning on my behalf probably didn't hurt matters.
Now, with that aside, on to Nerd News in Brief.
- Wrock Meets Wrap: It's kind of short notice, but Harry and the Potters will be playing a free show with Wiz Rapper extraordinaire MC Kreacher today at the Brooklyn Public Library’s Main Branch. Show starts at 3:00 PM, so get a move on!
- Just Like Spinal Tap: In other Potters news, the band is currently in the market for a new drummer. New England-area percussionists are encouraged to jump on this shit.
- Subtle, Like a Knife: Matt was also quick to tell me that Wrockers Lauren Myrtle and Whompy have started a new band called Armoured Bearcub, the music of which will center on Pullman's His Dark Materials. Check out the duo's MySpace for a taste.
- All About NEETs: Word from the house of Olson is that Ultraklystron has "pulled a Random" and released a stripped-down freebie version of his recent full-length The Fourth Estate. Karl also entered a track into the Nerdcore Rising Song Fight! competition, which you can find linked from his site.
- Pssssst! Over here!: I heard a rumor that Dual Core's got some t-shirts on the way. Seriously, man, peep the action shot! When will they be available? How much will they cost? Beats me, but I'll share details as they I learn them.
- Flavor is in the Tongue of the Beholder: Krondor Krew's Masu was nice enough to hip me to several new limited edition flavors of Jones Soda. Themed around D&D, if you can believe it!
- Cityspeak: Thanks to my boy Brooks for restoring my faith in technology. Yes, Nissan engineers are working to make their electronic cars sound like the spinners featured in Blade Runner. In related news, Carlos Ghosn is a replicant.
- Play the Game: And, of course, Church sent me my requisite "geek chic" story. Let's see here… thick eyeglasses… comic books… reference to Revenge of the Nerds… sweater vests… BINGO! I got geek chic BINGO!
- Do Not Feed After Midnight: This week, mc chris finally released a full set of dates for his fall Gremlins Tour. Now the only question is, do I catch him and I Fight Dragons in nearby Columbia, SC, or do I make the drive to the ATL?
- Wait... Maybe They Are: Much nerd love to my friend and provider of bandwidth Antisoc for giving me lots to write about this week. In the past few days he's not only released an excellent chiptune remix of MC Lars's "White Kids Are Hyphy," but also an appropriately hyper video for his track "Caffeine Trip" and his own drunken podcast. It's the Antisoc hat trick!
- Party Like a Rockstar: Jason Rockstar also jumped on this year's Drunken Podcasting Month festivities by putting together his own drunkcast. It features a new track from Schaffer the Darklord, and also lots and lots of slurring.
- In Living Color: And while you're out there downloading things, promise me you'll snag AlienBobz new live sets from Beefy, Southside and People Within. They are all freely available at archive.org. Now promise me!
- Bleep on the Street: And last but not least, big ups to Zen Albatross for sharing the Crunchy Co Records video recap of the Lo-Tek Resistance chiptune guerilla concert from this year's PAX. It closes out this week's NNIB on a high note.